Wednesday, October 14, 2009

#13 MySpace & #14 Facebook

I have to admit that MySpace does not appeal to me in any way. I originally tried to set one up last yar, but struggled with the design and understanding. It seems at the moment that most libraries are American dominated. It is hard to see how this can benefit our school at the moment as access is denied due to student misuse. If it was to be used, students would need instruction on the appropraite use of MySpace.

I have been using Facebook for awhile now. Even in the classroom I use it to show discussions of film directors (M. Night Shyamalan) and radio programs (NXFM - Hamish and Andy). Through careful selection, viewing posts on the wall and discussions can encourage students to think about ideas differently. But even with facebook teachers need to select carefully appropriate material. Facebook can also be subject to misuse. But as I am familair it would be wonderful to set up a class Facebook and have students completed research tasks, discussions and presentations. However, as MySpace facebook is also unable to used by students in school.

I am now off to investigate Twitter. Heard a lot about it, not sure what it is all about. Always hearing about it on T.V and the radio and in Magazines (although I must admit I have not heard students discuss Twitter in class.)

No comments:

Post a Comment